Tuesday, April 04, 2006

 

The need to read

For those of you who have read my couple of posts, you know I read the Great Gatsby last month. I am compelled with a need to get back to the written word. Right now, I am attempting to read Huckleberry Finn, and since work has started again, my pace has been slowed significantly. But, every little bit helps. I am also reading (along with my wife) a great anthology of mediations on Lent (you can take a look at her blog if you are interested-the-peanut-gallery.blogspot.com).

The cultivation of this discipline becomes more obviously necessary as cable TV has entered my life for the first time in 6 years (our apartment provides it as part of our rent). The bombardment of utterly useless images (as well as some useful ones) encourages me to interact with books again. My daughter loves reading now. And someday, after she has become bored with it due to the fast paced entertainment around her, maybe she will be, as her old man was, provoked to go back to the written word.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?