Monday, June 12, 2006

 

Noko

My blog of late has had little to do with food or art, a lot to do with faith, but even more about real estate. True, the purchasing of our house has dominated our mindset. I have been continually monitoring my dear friend Darren Prince's blog as he and his wife travel to Africa, and that continues to serve as a reminder that there is much more to the world than any piece of real estate. Life is like that-a continual reminder of the need for balance between extremes. It is no good to dwell solely on the grave, such as the desperate need that calls out on the continent of Africa. But to ignore it is tantamount to endorsement, as Bob Dylan notes only too well in his simple ballad, Blowin' in the Wind. It has been made an anthem, but Dylan's original version is a stark, simplistic reminder of our responsibilities.

On the other side, is the not too grave. Before the inspection of our home today (which went very well I might add), we stopped for the first time at the Nokomis Beach Coffee House. I have pleaded to the heavens to find an independent coffee house where I can endorse a small business rather than pay my monetary homage continually to the green monster starbucks (lack of capitalization intentional). I may have found it. This is, I imagine, only the first of possibly hundreds of visits to this dive. Here I discovered a drink called a Noko, an espresso with white cocoa. It tasted better than any coffee drink I have had in some time, and I sipped it as I met the inspector at our new house. Couple that with my raspberry white chocolate scone, and I can only hope that two headed monsters caribou and starbucks never do in this place. caribou is a local chain, for those who don't know, and I vastly prefer it to starbucks, but it is still a chain :). My wife laughs at my fear of these two chains....but back to the Nokomis Beach Coffee House. It offers what so many of us want-a place with local character and a great product. The only thing that would have made it complete is a walk, coffee in hand, on the shore of Lake Nokomis. That will come I'm sure. As I close, this blog entry can also be called a coupon for all my readers. It is good for one trip, on me, to the Nokomis Beach Coffee house. The offer begins August 1st, and never expires, so long as my residence in Nokomis continues. Jack and I are sitting in the living room waiting!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?