Thursday, July 06, 2006

 

4th of July in the Sky

A couple of sound bites from our flight home Tuesday:

The NWA Captain: "Folks, if you look off to your left, you can see the fireworks over Lake Minnetonka."

Corrie Hesed: "Oooo...it was red, now its green. Look at the fireworks...are we going to bump into them?"

Our flight home Tuesday granted me this opportunity...to see fireworks from an airplane. Those of you who know me know that I am not a patriotic person. My affection for this country springs mostly in traits I find endearing, not from the so-called virtues of which people speak. Having said that, the bombs bursting in air in complete silence was enchanting. You could see the Great American Celebration going on, and in the quiet of that plane far above the ground, there was a strange stillness to it. In our attempts to show our might and our pizazz (Americans are not a subtle people), it was ironic to feel that what I saw Tuesday did not stir me, but it did give me a sense of solace and peace. Strange indeed.

I want to see the fireworks over Lake Minnetonka from the ground next year.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?