Friday, July 21, 2006

 

Why I Love the Trinity

I graduated from Biola University in 1998 with a Biblical Studies major. I picked up my alumni magazine today, and the cover story dealt with a movement away from theology in modern evangelicalism. It seems that some among us are beginning to question matters of theology, such as the Trinity. To quote Bishop TD Jakes (not specifically on the matter of the Trinity), "I am too busy trying to preach the Gospel to split hairs...people are dying without knowing God not for lack of theology, but for lack of love."

I also know very little concerning the emerging church movement. What I do understand is that it focuses on relationship, and might be more inclined to speak less of theology.

I see a problem.

The core of Christianity is indeed relationship, as these folks are correct in pointing out. The model relationship is that of the relationship between God the Father and God the Son, a model that is decimated if we leave out Theology. In many ways, I loathe systematic theology. I think it attempts, too often, to shoe horn preconceived theological understandings into the Bible. But please, give me the Trinity. Where are we without it? What basis have we to proclaim any truth in Christianity (the love of Christ, loving each other, feeding the poor, being peacemakers) without the fundamental, beautiful relationship of the Godhead. Why do we need to take our focus away from the Trinity to focus on relationship, when our relationships should be defined by the Trinity.

I once heard talk radio personality Dennis Prager (by no means a Trinitarian) say that people are only bored because they are boring. Well, if a disciple of Christ is not invigorated by the core relationship which brings all of our relationships into their proper context, then maybe the doctrine is not the problem.

Please, think about the Trinity. You won't ever be able to fully understand it, but affirm it we must! For in its intricate balance, we see Christ's nature explained. Without that explanation, what gospel have I to preach? Why should I imitate this Jesus who healed the sick and gave comfort to the poor? Why should I care about this man who, in one majestic and seemingly unjust moment, took upon himself all of my ugliness?

Because God is Triune. Let's not lose that. I hate the fact that people don't live by their theology. I hate when I don't live by my theology. But please, it is our lifeblood. Without theology, we are as chaff, which the wind will inevitably blow away.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be...world without end.
Amen

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?