Sunday, July 09, 2006

 

You're not my father...and other observations



-I think that the boy was angry with me today. By this, I don't mean that I took away a power cord again and he cried. No, this time I got the sort of steely glare that is usually reserved for mature adults.

I had left my shoes next to the coffee table to enjoy the World Cup Final today (Bravo Italia), and at one point, my son fell down on one of them. He whimpered a bit, but that was just the beginning. He picked up the shoe, and proceeded to stare at me, with out the customary grin, even when I tried to incite one. It was as though he was thinking, "Sir, I believe you dropped something-don't let it happen again."

It only got creepy when the glare continued for the next few minutes. Then, he went back to his normal self. Even so, I have the sneaking suspicion that won't be the last time I see that glare.

-The weather here in Minnesota has been glorious. Warm, but only pleasantly so. Mid eighties, beautiful in the shade, and not oppressively humid.

-I felt right back at home last night, as the Steph and the kids and I went to a cheesecake cafe in Minneapolis (complete with 170 flavors of cheesecake and toys for the kids), and then took a walk in the same glorious weather around Lake Nokomis. This is the same Lake that will serve as our extended back yard for years to come (we hope).

-Being back at work has gone well this week. We still face a lot of challenges, but continue to make progress.

-We are pulling out all the stops tomorrow for an early birthday celebration for yours truly: breakfast at Mickey's Diner in St. Paul, and dinner at the Green Mill in Maple Grove. Eating out is always fun for me. Maybe I'll have pie too.

-Incidentally, if you're ever in St. Paul visiting us or for any other reason, do yourself a favor and go to this diner. It isn't a fancy experience, and they want to hurry you through (being as it's an actual dining car from a train, it's small), but their food is amazing.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?