Wednesday, September 13, 2006

 

Today in Baseball

Today, baseball was a big part of things in our household. This manifested itself in two major ways.

First, I awoke this morning to the news that the Dodgers had lost to the Cubs last night, 9-8 in 11 innings. Though I am pulling for my old hometown's team, I took surprising pleasure in how this loss was inflicted. First, Derek Lowe blew a 7-0 lead. He was a product of the old GM's regime, and almost anything that reminds me of that upsets me. Second, I was disheartened by the Dodgers' shortsightedness in trading Cesar Izturis to the Cubs for Greg Maddux. Lo and behold, who should get the walk off hit for the Cubs in the 11th but this same Izturis. Sometimes, karma does seem to be the flavor of the day. I took delight in this misstep of the Dodgers', all the while hoping for better things today.

Second, though the Twins fell in a tough one to the A's today, I had the pleasure of watching the game in person with my daughter. It was one of those great, living in the city moments. I found out this morning that the Twins were playing a day game, so I took Corrie. I was surprised with how enthralled she was. She didn't understand anything, but she was excited. It was fun and relaxing, and the beginning (I hope) of many fun times. The only downside was that we had to go indoors, when the weather outside today has been perfect (75 degrees, clear skies). Here's a photo of Corrie and I taking in the game:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?