Saturday, October 28, 2006

 

Falling Back

Tonight, one of our favorite rituals takes place. We turn back the clock one hour, and revel in the extra 60 minutes granted to us once a year. Is it a coincidence that the end of baseball (one last remnant of a summertime which seems farther and father away) falls so closely to falling back and election day? Election day could only happen when things turn harsh. Otherwise, politicians would not be able to provoke anger from citizens. The approaching winter cannot help but stir up dissent I suppose.

I refuse to cooperate. The longer I live, the more impatient I become toward almost anything political. Instead, I will enjoy my cider and pumpkin muffins, and watch my kids waddle around in increasingly large garments, and always look forward to the stillness and warmth of my home as I come in from the cold.

I just watched President Bush stumping in Indiana a few moments ago, and last night saw David Letterman act like a child regarding the war in Iraq. There is nothing uglier to me than the irrational emoting and calculated cockiness one can observe during an election season. I am constantly reminded of the transience of this world, and how unimportant it all is when compared to His Kingdom. Do I have political beliefs? Yes. But I would rather focus on the Kingdom of heaven. A world where, someday, when I die, I will enter into a land of eternal falling back, where everyday seems to have an extra 60 minutes coming from nowhere.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?