Sunday, January 14, 2007

 

Back To Reality

Well, tomorrow morning we head back to Minnesota. We have had fun here, though I know that the kids will appreciate being back home. I will not look forward to starting back on the grind Tuesday, but that is always part of the home going. Apparently, we have a blanket of snow waiting for us at home, so hopefully that won't affect our travels tomorrow.

It's never easy to close the book on a vacation, but I have a feeling that once the flight is behind us, things will feel quite different. As nice as it is to relax, there is nothing quite like being at home. That's part of what makes travel special. The anticipation and experience of it is great. Then, as the trip draws to a close, and one knows that reality is setting in, the comforts of home come rushing back. Because one cannot return to "vacation" in the everyday harshness of life, one can only return home.

God has put into me a desire for "permanent vacation", a life away from the vicissitudes of work. One day, I am confident that will arrive, be it in this life or the next. Part of that vacation I have experienced for the last week and a half, as I have been able to focus on extended familial relationships. As we return to Minnesota, the other part of that vacation will come back. After all, each day, I have a vacation from work as I say hello to my wife and kids, safe from another day, and ready to bask in the glory of what God has graciously given. It isn't always as glorious as all that, for we see in a glass dimly for now. But I believe that the good in this life is a way that God makes Himself known to us. Though it's all a mixed bag, I am thankful for all the challenges and gifts that God gives that make us know more about who He is.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?