Saturday, February 10, 2007

 

God's Great Gift

Luther once said that he enjoyed beer and wine as God's good gifts.
Though I do the same, I am using his quotation out of context
concerning a different great gift: the arts, and in this case, music.

I am listening to a recording of La Boheme
right now, a situation made possible by the my wife and kids being out
with the in laws. The presence of my children gives me much less time
to savor such gifts, so I take the opportunities I can get. This
morning, I enjoyed a fineCantata by Bach musing on the need for us to be genuine in our devotion before God.

I just went online and visited the myspace blog of a coworker who has a band here in Minneapolis. His band has a great sound, reminding me of classic rock.

I have listened a lot lately to The Spares' new record. I have a link to
their website here on my blog, and if you haven't visited yet, please
do so! They have a unique yet familiar sound that never fails to grab
me.

My daughter loves her new Beatles' shirt, and I am reminded at times when I see it how influential they are as musicians. As my daughter grows, I will introduce her to
their great music, all the while attempting to point her to the Source
of all music.

Minnesota is the land of Dylan, though he doesn't spend much time here any more. Some of his music makes more sense now that I live here, but the range that he shows in his music and lyric is always entertaining and moving.

Rick Nelson is one of the most under appreciated rockers of all time. I think "Lonesome Town" is a piece of genius.

Charlie Parker is an amazing talent. Even on his most "accesible" tracks, the work is dizzying in its inventiveness and improvistation.

Music is a great gift from God. All types. The more I hear, the more thankful I am.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?