Wednesday, February 14, 2007

 

His Eye is on the Sparrow

This week, I begin a new "days off" cycle at TJ's. For the last three months, I have had Saturday/Sunday off, a truly unique experience for a Trader Joe's employee. I enjoyed having those days off, though I admit, it was not the amazing blessing that I first thought it would be. I love having Sunday off for sure, but sharing the same weekend with everyone makes every place so crowded!

Anyhow, Wednesday morning is Bible study morning for the wife and kids, so I guess I will have a morning to myself every week for the next 3 months. This one is my first. Earlier, I spent some time in quiet prayer and reflection, something I hope to cultivate with the explicit alone time. While in this time, my thoughts turned to a silly Veggie Tale I watched with my daughter. It was based on George Mueller's life; a man who trusted God to meet the needs of his charities without asking anyone else, but simply by praying. The asparagus playing Mueller gathers the orphans around the piano and sings "His Eye is On the Sparrow" with them.

It occurred to me that although I have so little to worry about, that somehow this has removed me for an awareness of God's providence. Much of what I have can be attributed to my own efforts, and this seems to place me distantly away from God's hand. True, I know in my mind that God is using my efforts and the efforts of those around me to provide for me. And I would rather not live in an instance where every day's meals for my wife and children were question marks. But sometimes, he seems rather distant due to the world in which I live. In a world of such plenty and wealth, that God seems irrelevant at times...

On the other hand, the world can crash down quickly one someone. Though our physical needs are few, our spiritual need for God remains. I need God to make my marriage work. I need God to give me patience and selflessness to be the father my kids need. And most important, I need God each day to deliver me from my own selfish tendencies and sinful ways.

My first day back at work after time away never fails to make me turn inward. I hate leaving my family so much that I am forced to turn to the greater purpose of life. One thing that I can turn to is those silly vegetables singing "His Eye is On the Sparrow", for His watching me does bring so much wealth to every day and every situation. May I not forget that His hand has given he everything. He can take it away, and that does not subtract from his goodness, nor does it take away the joy of what I do have. I pray for those in poverty, both physical and spiritual, and I pray that I can be one small thing God can use to alleviate their burdens.

Comments:
I love you, Joel. I'm praying for you all.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?