Monday, March 19, 2007

 

4 years of Hesed


Steph and I were recalling the events of 4 years ago today. She woke me up at 4AM in our Evanston, IL apartment informing me that Corrie's birth was immenent.

It seems worlds away now. We have lived in 4 different homes since then, had three more pregnancies, welcomed a son into the world, and now we expect another son.

We have lived in three different states since her birth, most of that time not knowing which state we would call home.

Her middle name came to me one day while driving on the Eden's Expressway north of Chicago. We had toyed with other middle names, the first name basically having been decided. We thought about Evanston, since we knew that would forever link her to her birthplace, and to a place very special to her mother and I. We considered Addison for similar reasons, but also because it sounded cute.

But Hesed stuck. The reason? There is something beautiful not only in its depth of meaning, but also in it sound. It is impossible to translate this Hebrew word and totally capture all its nuance. Suffice to say, the faithfulness that God has shown us through her 4 years on this earth certainly reflects the meaning of the word. And the grace that God has shown us and her in these 4 years reflects the meaning of the word. But the word's meaning is most strongly seen as we see her struggle against her own human and sinful tendencies even at such a young age. And the meaning is so clearly seen as we understand the grace God has shown us, and the love he has for us, in spite of our behavior. And to some small degree, we love her in a similar way. We could not have known all of this over 4 years ago when we picked the name. But isn't it interesting how so many of us come to embody the names we are given?

My daughter has been a tremendous source of light and joy. She is a wonderful gift. God has granted me an extraordinary privelege in lending her to me. After all, she is His, not mine. May I always remember to whom she truly belongs, and raise her in such a way to help to realize who her true Father is. That I may be merely His instrument in drawing her to Him.

I love you my little monkey.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?