Wednesday, March 14, 2007

 

LOTR

Five years ago, I had a cinematic epiphany. When I walked out of the Chinese Theater in Hollywood having just seen "Fellowship of the Ring," I felt something I rarely feel. I felt I had just witnessed something truly special. Such films do not come around very often.

Now, in 2007, 3 years after the saga's final chapter won Best Picture, I still feel the same way. "Fellowship of the Ring" certainly opened to heavy critical acclaim, and deservedly so. But, to me, these films belong in the Pantheon of filmmaking. I think that we are so spoiled by the amazing special effects that we see that we are unable to remember how truly rare the LOTR (Lord of the Rings) films were and are.

That night in December 2001 seems so distant. It would still be over a year until our first child would be born. We were home for Christmas from Chicago. The world was reeling from the terrorist attacks of the previous September. But I have rarely been so engrossed and overwhelmed by any piece of cinema. Sure, there are movies that I may regard as "better" for several reasons. But this film put all the pieces together: remarkable narrative, tremendous visuals, and great acting. But, where this film truly stands apart is here: though it is based on a book (and though the writer/director took his share of liberties), the characters were so amazingly realized. That is rare, especially in a movie version of a book. And maybe it is not seen as the cinematic giant that it is because it is a fantasy work; and to enjoy it would put us down in the basements of the world with all of the other LOTR fans. We all know the ones. The ones who hold conversations in Elvish and spend the rest of their time speaking Dwarf.

The last 2 nights, my wife and I have begun watching this saga again, complete with the deleted scenes on the extended version. It is still engrossing, scary, funny and exhilirating. But the last two nights cannot compare to that night over 5 years ago, when Steph and I first experienced it. I think these films will stand the test of time like few others. They are unique.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?