Monday, May 14, 2007

 

Reunion

Well, I leave tomorrow morning for California. I have to say, it seems like a long time ago when I dropped my wife and kids off at the airport. The time I have had here without them has been very good for me, for lots of reasons.

First, I have come to appreciate my wife more than ever (for many different reasons). Since your spouse is the one family member you actually choose, I think I picked well. She's the kind of person that I know just makes everything better. Take today for instance. I had a great day. I got up, mowed the lawn, and got ready to go. I took the light rail downtown and walked across the Mississippi to Nye's Bar. Nye's Bar is a Minneapolis institution which I finally had the chance to experience today. As warm as it was today, the ice cold beer was a welcome refresher. I had a great meal of stuffed cabbage and potato. Afterwards, I walked around for a while. I tried to go to the Mill City Museum, but discovered it's closed on Mondays. I topped off the day with a viewing of Spiderman 3 and a ride back home on the light rail. All the while, I had my ipod, and listened to some great tunes. So, what was missing? My wife! I am convinced that even though I had a blast today, it would have been even better with her. Now granted, her absence and the kids' absence made today possible; but, I still know that it all would have been more fun with her.

Second, the ability to be alone is a blessing. Sometimes, it is a way that God can speak even louder than normal. This week, I felt His leading in many ways, and all of them, I think, will make me a better husband and father.

Third, I am so happy for the time Steph could spend with her family. This is a special time for us, since we have welcomed a new nephew. I am very happy that my work schedule did not keep her from having a great time with the family.

So...I will enjoy a plane trip tomorrow free of the squirming kids. But when I get off said plane, I will be excited to see my little ones and my wife again. The house has been much quieter for sure, but it has also been so much more empty. I have sensed that most today, as it has been the only day off I have had since they left. I can't wait to see them again.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?