Tuesday, May 01, 2007

 

Seven

I was just reading a friend's blog. In it, she mentioned that she and her husband will be travelling for their seventh anniversery. Strange...Steph and I had our 7th and celebrated it, but reading that blog entry served as a way of reminding me not only that it has been seven years, but how far away it seems.

That year (and the year after) it seemed as though we were attending a wedding each week. There were a rash of weddings, and cliche though it my be, all was indeed new.

Now, I sit in similar anticipation of a trip that my wife and I will take. This weekend, we will return to Chicago for the Trader Joe's company party, and for some time away from the young ones before our third child arrives. Last night, I dreamed of his arrival, and of our telling people his name. And interestingly, the name in the dream did indeed match the one that currently tops our list. The seven years I have been with Steph have been better than I could have imagined; and funnier...and crazier...but always better.

I laugh at the perspective we've gained:

-Yesterday, Corrie had to run the gaunlet at the doctor, getting 5 immunizations. I remember seeing her get her first shot with some trepidation. And the little amount of reserve I had even then is long gone now.
-Yesterday, we shaved Jack's head, and gloried in the money we have saved.
-We look forward so much to two days alone-we had no idea how precious that would be during our three years alone before Corrie.
-Most importantly, I have learned that right now is our time to be parents. We love our time alone, but we love our time with the kids. My anticipation for number three grows daily, partly because it may very well be our last, but partly also because I know now that there is nothing to fear, and everything to anticipate.
-Someday, we will again revel in the time we can spend alone. The long journey that started 7 years ago will full circle back to us. At that time, I hope we can celebrate what that part of life has to offer, much as we are able to do presently.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?