Wednesday, May 09, 2007

 

Time

I have a feeling I will be writing a lot for the next few days. First of all, Steph and I just had a wonderful couple days in Chicago. We had a great time at the Trader Joe's company party, and spent an entire day relaxing in Chicago: wandering around the River North Neighborhood, visiting our old home in Evanston, and uniting with old friends.

But most of the reason for my writing will be the absence of my family; a fact which, though making the house awfully empty and quiet, will certainly give me more time to write.

Time is a funny thing. The everyday matters of our kids' lives which seem so mundane to us take so much time that when that element is missing, there seems to be so much time that one didn't have. I have already experienced this on a small scale on days when Steph takes the kids to Bible Study and I have a morning alone. Now, I have six days.

Most of that time will be consumed by work of course. For if work were not an issue, I would currently be on the plane with my family. And when I return home from work, I will miss my family, particularly my wife. I hope to get more sleep, read more, write more, and watch a few interesting movies. I also hope to do a few things around the city that are hard to do with kiddos.

I will miss her presence and encouragement after the meat grinder of work, but I celebrate her trip to LA to meet our new nephew, and the chance to visit more with her folks. I will make the best of my time without her and the kids, for I do not get this chance very often. I will have the time. But, ironically, I am also confident that there will be moments when the one thing I wish I did not have was time...more time until I am reunited with the one person whom God gives me the right to truly need.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?