Wednesday, October 10, 2007

 

Finding Our Rhythm/The Playoffs

It seems like we are finding a rhythm with the three kids. Wesley is usually only getting up once a night at this point, and the other two kids are getting more and more used to the impact he is having on the house.

I finished a six day work week, and it feels like a long time since my last weekend.

Fall fell like a rock this week. On Saturday, it was 87, yesterday it struggled to get above 50. It certainly feels like fall all of the sudden.

I am somewhat happy with how the baseball playoffs have gone. I was glad to see the Yankees and Angels head home, though not as happy to see the Cubs and Phillies do the same. I would like to see Cleveland beat Boston, and think it would be nice for Denver to have Colorado make it. Though I must say, I doubt very much that a Cleveland/Colorado World Series is the ratings bonanza that Major League Baseball would want.

It is not unusual to root against the Yanks, and I grew up indifferent to the Angels. But the last few years have seen numerous decisions by management in the Angels organization that have led to them being on my "bad list", though we'll always have the 2002 series, when they vanquished the hated Giants. The Dodgers were actually on my bad list for a couple of years, but have since made some decisions that I respect enough to give them my vote again. The pageantry of George Steinbrenner having to deal with yet another early post season exit is enough to keep anyone entertained. The man spends 200 million dollars on a team, but the way he spends his money is mystifying. In the middle of a bad season when pitching was the problem, he spent 20 million dollars on a 45 year old who couldn't last 3 innings in his playoff start (Roger Clemens). Steinbrenner needs to let his people make decisions...almost 50 million of that payroll went to two people who were no help in the playoffs. If he could get rid of that 25 mil he pays to A-Rod and spend it on pitching, the Yanks' post season woes would probably be over. After all, their best years saw them using mainly role players, not the marquis names he pays these days.

Anyway, I am sitting here with my little Wes while Steph has the kids at Bible Study. Here are two pictures:




Corrie and Jack with their cousin Dylan at the orchard



the three kiddos

Comments:
well, it looks like all our hopes are on the rockies but, it's hard to argue against "21 of their last 22." i'm really curious about your phrase, "the last few years have seen numerous decisions by management in the angels organization that have led to them being on my 'bad list.'" can you give me some examples? i was pretty upset at the gary matthews, jr. deal, but that didn't turn out as bad as i thought it would. what else did they do to push the bascom buttons?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?