Thursday, January 17, 2008

 

Yes...I am that Annoyingly Happy

Today at work, I had someone ask me how I am always so cheerful when I work 50 hours a week, and then have to go home to three kids.

I'll admit, I get tired. There are trade offs for every decision we make. But more often than not, the tired part is because of work, and the kids at home give me the strength to combat my world.

Jack is turning into a hobbit. His car bed is starting to remind me of Frodo's Hobbit Hole. He enjoys the comforts of life, and doesn't ever seem to be in a hurry. He's at that age where every sentence he says sounds amazing to his parents, and every thing he does seems special because it's his first time.


Corrie is suddenly a little girl. She understands things in new ways every day. She's reading. And she has a very special place in our hearts. Not unlike the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz, she's been with us the longest. She was born in Illinois, and has lived in three states in her almost 5 years of life. She remembers so much too. She'll say things, and I have to remember what she's talking about. She also can recite large portions of Winnie the Pooh, and is delighted by the fact that I can as well. Here's a picture from our father-daughter frolic in the newly fallen snow on Christmas day.


And Wesley is another reminder of the fleeting uniqueness of infancy. Tonight, I was putting his siblings to bed, and I could hear him fussing. After I was finished, I went into the living room and picked him up, and the crying ceased. He just wanted to be held. How simple it is, and how wondrous.


I say all this despite the crappy pants and the challenges to my and Steph's authority. How great of a mirror they are into our own relations with God. What a great reminder of his grace and mercy.

And oh how I wish I could sleep until 10:30 tomorrow morning :)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?