Tuesday, August 05, 2008

 

What A Difference 9 years makes

I went to New York a week ago with my dad and his friend Jim to visit Yankee Stadium one last time. As I have written before on this blog, I have had a general disdain for New York in the past. I have always thought it to be an amazing city with too great of a picture of itself. This was mostly manifested to me by the exploits of the New York Yankees and their fans.

Well, I am here to say that both me and (I think) the city have changed since '99. On this visit, I found the place exhilarating. I love walking the streets at 2:30 AM and having them still be full of life. I love that sense you get in NY, SF and Chicago of a genuine world class city. Here, you can put aside you car and use transit and your feet to get around.

The trip made me want to go back with my wife (who as of yet has never been there). Here are some snapshots:

I started my time in NYC with a 12:30 AM pastrami on rye at the Carnegie Deli:




















We spent the next morning in Greenwich village and, then walked up to the Trader Joe's at Union Square. The view of the Chrysler building is from TJ's looking north































After visiting TJ's, we went back down to Little Italy for some pizza at the oldest pizzeria in America, Lombardi's



















Next,we made our way up to the Bronx to Yankee Stadium via subway, stopping off to see the cathedral of St. John the Divine in Upper Manhatten:































The next morning, I made my way up to the Upper West side, had breakfast, and stopped by the Museum of Biblical Art on Broadway. Then, I went through Columbus square and down Broadway past the Ed Sullivan Theater:
















All in all, a great trip, and I can't wait to go back someday with Steph.

Comments:
Joel, thanks for the NY tour. It brought back fond memories of our visit there before we moved here. We also loved exploring on foot/metro. Just that quick dose of pedestrian freedom helped make me excited about the pedestrian lifestyle we'd live in Kyiv. And I still love it, even after four-plus years. Also, that looks like an awesome sandwich.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?