Sunday, October 19, 2008

 

Last Chance??

You never quite know here in Minnesota when it is indeed your last chance. Your last chance to go outdoors without thick layers of clothing. Today, it is partly cloudy and 62, a truly lovely fall day. I almost feel obligated to get outside, lest I lose my chance to partake one more time in the joy of being outside in Minnesota.

As Steph and I drove home from church today, we saw them. We saw the hordes of people taking advantage of this city's marvelous parks and bike trails. It always reminds me of the sight that I see when I accidentally step on an anthill. After I do it, I look down to see sheer movement, as the disoriented ants crawl about in confusion. When I drove past Minnehaha Falls Park today, I saw a place teeming with movement. You see, this whole city knows what is coming. And while I applaud the Minnesotan embrace of winter which can be best seen in ice fishing, sledding and cross country skiing, we know that people simply can't get enough of riding or running in the warm sunshine. October is, as I always say, my favorite month. It always will be because of the ability to enjoy the outdoors without a hint of discomfort, whether that be weather that is too cold or too warm. Happy October everybody.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?