Thursday, November 06, 2008

 

Reflections on an Historic Morning

As someone who was always taught about the depth of the struggle of the African American people, it is difficult to not be proud of where the country has come in the election of Barack Obama Tuesday. I have never supported his candidacy, but I always felt a certain amount of happiness that we could see the progress of race relations in this country in a tangible way. What is comforting to me is the congratulations Obama received from Senator McCain and President Bush. It is comforting to see a clean victory here. It would have been heartbreaking to see another 2000 scenario, especially with race also being in the mix with this election.

There are many already recounting the words of Martin Luther King in these days following such an historic election. That is appropriate, for on Tuesday, I voted against this man for the same reason so many voted for him, because of the content of his character. If anything, my sympathy for the African American plight was the only thing that would have compelled me to vote for Obama. But in the end, that is going against my own principles. I must vote for someone based on their stance on the issues and how they measure up with my stances. While John McCain was far away from my principles, Obama was farther, and I could not ignore that as I cast my vote Tuesday.

The other quote from King that was recalled was the "free at last" quote. Again, that is an appropriate thought on such a day. And yet, I cannot help but think of the vast sea of voices silenced through abortion, and I cannot celebrate. Obama has skillfully addressed this issue in such a way that pleases most people. I agree that almost everyone (if not everyone) wants to see fewer abortions. That at least leaves room for progress. But while abortion is allowed in the name of liberty in this nation, I will not be a patriot of this nation. I am very aware of the other economical inequities that Obama says he will set out to correct. That is another principle where I differ. But the abortion issue is totally different. Economic systems are simply tools which can be used or abused like any other human endeavor. But the lack of regard of innocent human life looms so large in my heart that I don't think I can utter "free at last" until unborn human life is finally given its proper respect. I offer my heartfelt congratulations to Senator Obama and my friends who support him. But I also offer my prayers that he will look inside himself and have a change of heart and realize that he cannot claim to care for the least of these among us as long as this right continues.

Comments:
Thank you for writing this, Joel. You expressed my feelings better than I ever could.=) I get too emotional about it!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?