Tuesday, January 20, 2009

 

Two Kingdoms

Well, we have had a good trip to LA. We go back to Minneapolis in a day and a half, and we have had some good times. The time with family has been good. The eating has been good. But the time we have had with friends has been uniquely good this time. But today was a unique day in our nation's history. As I watched the inauguration today, three things struck me.

First, I have had some extraordinary interaction with brothers and sisters in Christ who do not share my political opinions. This has been enlightening and engaging, and it has also given me a sense of optimism concerning the new president who took the oath of office today. But more than that, it has further reinforced the notion to me that Christ's kingdom is different than the kingdom of this world, and how we achieve justice in this world can be viewed differently, even by brothers and sisters in Christ.

Second, the ordinariness of the transfer of power spoke to the extraordinary nature of the moment. The oath was the same. The ceremony was the same. This all matters because the 44th president is like any other president...a private citizen who has been chosen by his peers to lead the country. The fact that President Obama is African American is both monumental and ordinary. It is monumental in its trailblazing nature, but ordinary in that he took the same oath that has been administered for over 200 years. I think that this peaceful transfer of power in part speaks to just how important a step this administration is. Obama won fair and square, and he has assumed the office as the 42 men before him have but his ascendancy is remarkable given our nation's demons concerning race.

Finally (I know I repeat myself), despite the hope and determination President Obama brings, I still lack idealism. I believe in the preeminence of Christ and His Kingdom, and I pray that the kingdom of this earth will become the kingdom of our Lord, and of his Christ. How an Obama presidency fits into that only God knows, but it is vital for us to remember that those of us who adhere to the Christian faith should first be loyal to Christ. I pray for our new president, that he can lead us in a greater sense of justice for all, and that more people can come to a knowledge of the kingdom that is not of this world.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?