Monday, March 02, 2009

 

Mixed Bag

Well, the last three days have been a mixed bag. My wife has been in California visiting her family. Her brother and sister in law have just welcomed a new baby, and Steph was traveling out there to have some fun visiting them. I had looked forward to this weekend because it would afford me the rare opportunity to be alone with my kids and have some time to myself.

One of us got what we expected.

As it turns out, our niece has serious health problems. She was born with a hole in her heart, and has been treated for that (though open heart surgery is in her near future). But since the initial treatment, the little one (Katie) has not been able to breathe without the help of a ventilator. We are praying for her, and Steph has had opportunity to spend time with our nephew Dylan, since his parents have had to be at the hospital with Katie so much.

Back here in Minnesota, I have had a wonderful weekend. I have spent so much time with my kiddos. We have watched movies, had pizza, gone to the aquarium, played in the snow, and generally have had a wonderful weekend. I finished another book, watched a movie, and hosted my scotch club on Saturday night. All in all, a great weekend for me. How could I have such a time while my wife and her family's situation is the opposite?

Well, they are related. Obviously I have been very concerned with Katie's condition. I am glad my wife could be there to help. What has been shoved in my face this weekend is how special it indeed is to have a healthy child, let alone three. It seems that almost every couple that Stephanie and I know (beyond mere acquaintance) have had something go wrong-severe birth defects, miscarriages, still births and possibilities of genetic conditions. Add to that the danger of child birth itself (Stephanie would not have survived Corrie's birth without modern medicine), and the presence of Corrie, Jack and Wesley has been a continual reminder (this weekend especially) of the magnitude of the gift that God has given. Why God allows the bad is a mystery that I have to live with, but I do know He has made himself known in every healthy child that does grace the home of their parents.

So as I said, it has been a mixed bag this weekend. Though I must say, I may not be able to enjoy the belly laugh I am hearing from Wesley right now if I did not know that a healthy child is not a sure thing to be taken for granted.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?